One Bowl Almond Snowball Cookies
Christmas baking is already starting around here, so today we are sharing these ooooh so simple to make, “all in one bowl” snowball cookies. A little warning you won’t be able to just eat one. They are perfect to enjoy freshly baked, or frozen away for Christmas time. They’re also one of our favourites to include in a cookie exchange, or wrapped up as gifts for your neighbours and friends.
In this recipe we have chosen to use ground almonds, however you can also use ground hazelnuts as well. Since there is only a couple of ingredients for these cookies, we recommend using a good quality butter that’s from grass fed or organic cow’s milk if available. The cookies get a gentle toss in icing sugar once they are out of the oven and while still slightly warm, plus a second dusting for the final touch once they are completely cooled. These adorable cookies are a perfect treat to (quickly) whip up with the kids after school and great to dunk in a cup of hot coco or coffee!
Just a quick 15 minute chill time, while the oven heats ups and these cute little cookies will be oven ready in no time.
One Bowl Almond Snowball Cookies
Preparation time: 20 minutes total
Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
Inactive time: 15 minutes
Makes 24 Cookies
1 cup (250 mL) ground almonds
3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar
3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
1/8 tsp (.5 mL) almond extract
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1. Pre heat the oven to 350° F (180 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl with a wooden spoon or with the paddle attachment fitted to your kitchen aid mixer, cream together the ground almonds, sugar, butter and both extracts, around two minutes.
3. Add in the flour and salt and mix until just combined, it will be a sandy texture use your hands bring the dough together.
4. Scoop out the cookies using a small scoop. (25mm) onto the baking sheet, roll in your hands to form nice round balls, place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up.
5. Remove from the freezer and space out the cookies leaving around 2 cm gap in-between cookies, they don’t really spread so don’t worry to much.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown and then edges start to lightly brown.
7. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for 4-5 minutes.
8. Sift about 1/2 cup of icing sugar into a bowl, when the cookies are cool enough to handle, coat each cookie in the icing sugar, sifting off any excess icing sugar. Place back onto the cooling rack to finishing cooling.
9. Before serving sprinkle or dredge with another layer of icing sugar.
Note: These will keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days, you can always freeze them as well or freeze the unbaked cookies and bake off, add two minutes of additional baking time if doing this step.
2 thoughts on "One Bowl Almond Snowball Cookies"
These are a favorite cookie to make. My mom made them every Christmas when I was a child; except using walnuts or pecans. Now when I make them, I brown the butter first–for extra flavor. Thank you for sharing!
Love how you have so many great baking memories!!! We will have to try the brown butter one time that sounds like a great addition.
Comments are closed.